Wednesday, June 8

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Please say it isn't so... Because of the terrible UI of MySpace.com, while I was trying to set up my username, I was concerned about which name would be displayed on my MySpace page: my username? my real name? a different, editable name? It should tell me, before I choose my username! Gah!

Well, in order to understand the details, I decided to create a fake account and go through the process with bogus information, in order to see what I could expect. =P Behold, my BOGUS MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/ferociousgravy

That's right! The BOGUS page got the actual URL I wanted on my REAL page. Stupidly, even though they say you can NEVER change your username/URL once you've chosen it, you actually CAN. I'll try to explain, but the frustration might veil the clarity...

I created an account with fake info -- my name was "Erase ThisAccount" and I chose this URL:

http://home.myspace.com/eraseaway

Cute? Sure. And it could never be changed, right? Well, wrong, obviously... I already had my regular account opened in another window, ready to set that username/URL as soon as I figured out how it could be edited after the fact. After I set up the fakie, I went back to the real account and chose my username: ferociousgravy, hit enter, and waited, proud of myself for investigating so thoroughly.

Then it loaded the new ferociousgravy URL and it displayed the name "Erase ThisAccount" -- wha wha wha?? Sure enough, the window with the real information somehow got bugged into believing it was the bogus account, and it re-assigned the right URL to the wrong account. In fact, if you try /eraseaway, it re-directs to the main site, because it apparently doesn't exist anymore. But of course, /ferociousgravy is gone now, forever, and I'm all ticked off...

As it stands now, I am without a username or URL for my real account... I thought I should cool off for a bit before attempting it again.

...and you got to hear all about it, here, at ferociousgravy.blogspot.com ... Stupid buggy sites with bad UI.

3 comments:

Bug said...

Holy crap. That sucks, babe.

I thought, "well, let's do something about this." So I started trying to find a website that simply was an open forum for people to post sites, companies, entities, etc. that had made it onto the poster's shitlist.

I can't find anything like this. I find it really surprising. With all of the blog's out there, is there really no site allowing for anti-corporate blogging by an anonymous public?

rooni said...

Wow, that's a leap from rational to reactionary. I was thinking I'd write to the MySpace webmaster.. hehe

But judging by how sucky my experience has been there so far (I can't post to a friend's site because it thinks I'm not a friend.. but I am on her friends list.. wtf?) and the fact that they say you can SERIOUSLY NEVER CHANGE YOUR USERNAME .. except when the site is buggy... I doubt they'd do anything to help me. =(

[uncontrollable pouting] .. sorry, I know I need to think of happy things to say in my blog.

Bug said...

Well, I'd say you should probably write the webmaster anyway. Maybe they can help. They must have delt with bugs in the past.

If not, they'll have to deal with me.

That's more effective coming from Clint Eastwood than it is coming from me. Then again, any kind of typed threat from Clint Eastwood probably isn't all that scary.

"do u feel lucky pnuk/? welll do u?!!1!"

I don't know why I assume Clint Eastwood types like a 13 year-old illiterate gimp, but I guess I do.