If you still have your wisdom teeth, but you should've had them taken out.. just go do it. It wasn't that bad. Take it from me -- I was scared poopless about getting it done, and it wasn't that big of a deal.
I got the nitrous to calm me down about the I.V., then they stuck me once in the arm while I inhaled (meh.. I didn't even get dizzy!) ... then I felt them stick me for the novacaine, but I don't think I cared too much. I was mostly out by that point.. then I was really out. They didn't put me to *sleep*, because I was supposed to be vaguely aware of what was happening. The only thing I remember was flinching whenever I heard someone turn on a saw (two or three times), and I heard the doctor say, sternly, "Don't do that." (I don't think they wanted me to flinch) ...
But then I opened my eyes, and a sweet lady was telling me I was all done, and I was being rolled into another room, and my mom was there, and they told me to sit up, and I did, and they told me to answer some questions (and I tried), and then they eventually asked me to stand, and they walked me out to my mom's truck.. and I dozed on and off the whole way home. The only thing I really wanted after leaving the office was some water.. My throat and mouth were so dry that I couldn't swallow. My mom said you could hear my skin sticking together as I tried. No harm done, I dribbled some water, and that was fixed. Back to sleep.
I got home, was starving, slurped down some apple sauce (dribbled a bunch too) .. slept, more apple sauce, pain killers, sleep, rinse, repeat. Eventually I graduated to chocolate pudding & pain killers, and weak iced tea.. and sleep. Ice packs, pain killers, sleep, and eventually the only things left that were numb were my bottom lip and my tongue. That was all but gone by my actual bedtime, and I slept through the night.
Now, on my second day, I just have some lower jaw discomfort (like someone punched me, a little swollen, stiffness on the left side) .. but all's well. Mashed potatoes are pretty much my favorite food right now. As it turns out, most soft foods are sweet, but that gets old quick. I tried to take just Advil today, but it didn't help the pain much, so I went back to Vicodin. The day has been better since then.. I get drowsy, I watch TV, I eat ice cream.
All in all, a superbly positive experience. =) The post-surgery pain is nothing compared to what I expected -- just a little stiff and sore (mostly stiff). Looking forward to getting the stitches out, and moving back onto solid foods. Anyway, do it if you haven't done it yet. If you're in the Bay Area, I can recommend a good doctor. =) Yay, it's over! Woohoo!
Thanks for being my Health Brigade, Bug! =)
1 comment:
You're absolutely welcome, Rooni. When you can eat solid food again, we're going to take you out for a steak battered in Grape Nuts just so you can catch up on all of the chewing and crunching you're missing out on this weekend. ; )
Now ... back to bed!
Post a Comment