Tuesday, May 31

Harlin Maneuver says, "Hiccup no more!"

A friend at work comes over to my desk today and says, "Amanda, what did you say was your miracle cure for hiccups? How do you make them stop? Someone by my desk has really bad hiccups and they won't go away."

Me: "Well, it's not my technique, but it's called the Harlin Maneuver. What you need to do is.." and he stopped me, "Just come show him."

So, I walked over to their desks and began, "This is called the Harlin Maneuver, and it has yet to fail. Follow these steps:

(1) Stand up
(2) Stretch your arms out to the sides
(3) Arch your back
(4) Extend your abdomen forward
(5) Breath slowly and deeply

... and that should do it." So he feels a little silly doing this in the middle of the office (most people feel like you're tricking them by getting them to do this silly pose) but he did it, and sure enough! No more hiccups.

Genius.

7 comments:

Bug said...

Complete and total Yenius.

When Ry invented it, the original step for breathing was to take a deep breath and let it out as slowly as possible. Guess the other version works, too. : )

I'm still unsure of how necessary the arms out at the side are. I mean ... What does that actually accomplish other than simply making you look foolish?

Bug said...

It really is amazing that he finally invented something that not only works, but that it's useful.

The Fleel and the Headmock might not go down in history. But the Harlin Maneuver actually has a chance.

rooni said...

Right, forgot the details of the maneuver, but rest assured: the way I described it worked. I'll remember the right way from now on. =) Ry is a genius!

Bug said...

yeah, he'll be happy to know his genius is being spread throughout the world. : )

I'll have to let him know.

rooni said...

Yeah, why don't you just point him to my Blog of Nonstop Laughs? Then he can read it himself. ;)

EmoRiot said...

I've seen it said that the arms out step is not completely necessary. But that's not entirely true. It's OFTEN not necessary, but for very serious cases it's necessary.

It's much like the Heimlich maneuver might not always have to be done by wrapping arms around a choking victim. Sometimes, just pressing on their diaphram from the front might work. But the maneuver is the maneuver and it's meant to work EVERY time.

Such is the Harlin maneuver. And so far, it's never failed. :-)

rooni said...

Preaching the Gospel of the Harlin Maneuver! Amen.