Jesse and I have been cooking for ourselves since we got back from the Christmas/New Year holiday travel blitz. We've sat down to breakfast together every morning, packed lunches together, and then come home to either make or serve (if slow-cooked during the day) dinner. Just wanted to note that it has been such a nice change. =) Even though we're obviously spending more time on meals, I feel like our home life is a lot less hectic. We've even somehow managed to keep up with our dishes every single day. Flamazing.
Now, the studio/office is a whole different situation.. we'll have to get around to cleaning it someday. It's mostly my fault - I got a new (well, two new) keyboard(s) and printer for Christmas, but I haven't set up the printer (huge box in the middle of the floor) and I left out the packaging for one keyboard, along with the second, unpacked, keyboard. Oh yeah -- does anyone want to buy my second keyboard? I don't want to go through the hassle of finding a store to return it, and get store credit.. yuck.
But meals! Meals are going well. I feel healthier (imagine that -- not eating out every night), and I know we're saving money. w00t.
6 comments:
You know, I was looking at the mess in our dining room this morning as I was eating breakfast. The bulk of it is still Christmas stuff that remains unmanaged.
I was thinking: taking a weekend and saying "We're cleaning the entire apartment" can be pretty overwhelming. But if we compartimentalize it and say "hey, there's nothing good on TV. Wanna clean up the kitchen?" Or "wanna straighten up the living room?" Before we know it, we'll have everything figure out, sorted, and straightened up.
What do you think?
I think it's sad that we're discussing our actual upcoming plans to ... clean our house ... in a blog forum on the internet. We're awesome.
: / I dunno. You think that's sad? ::shrug:: I think we're just using another form of communication that's available to us. I don't see anything "sad" about it. We can't really talk on the phone much to each other through out the day. It's not too dissimilar from email. Just my two cents.
Listen, Amanda, a word of warning. When Jesse cleans... KEEP HIM AWAY FROM THE CDs or BOOKSHELVES!!!!!! For all the years we lived in the same house, he had this convenient habbit of going "Hey lets clean up the whole place!" Then he goes and sits down by the CD rack and decides "I'll start by alphabetizing the CD rack." 4 hours later he's made it to the letter 'P' and is taking his time reminiscing over the old music and even sampling tracks as he oogles the liner notes. Meanwhile, you're already onto details like polishing the brass door knobs because you've done everything else in the house already. And, conveniently again, about the time you finish Jesse has made his way through the alphabet and goes "Oh so we're done?" KEEP THAT BOY AWAY FROM ANY STATIONARY ORGANIZATIONAL PROJECT!!!
Rubbish. I'm excellent at cleaning. Stop with your filthy lies, you filthy liar.
SO TRUE!
When he used to say he was going to clean his apartment, he'd start with the biggest pile of papers ever, unfolding and reading each until he knew exactly where it should go.. I used to say, "PLEASE just put it all in a bag and organize the paper mess later!"
BUT
To be fair, he has gotten a lot better.. He does triage paper more effectively now, and he's the Master of the Dishes in our house, not to mention the garbage and the recycling. And we cleaned the bedroom in 30 minutes or less this past weekend, a total joint effort.
...Organizing the CDs when we moved in was exactly as you described, though. ;)
Post a Comment