Sunday, March 18

Did I just read Twilight?

I recently asked my Facebook friends for some book recommendations. Did anyone mention Twilight? No, no, they did not.

For the entire time that Twilight has been the post-Harry Potter buzz word, I have had no desire to read any Twilight Saga books, and also no desire to watch the movies. Edward, Jacob, Jacob, Edward - who cares?

Now, after the final movie is all done with (or at least I think it is - that's how little I pay attention), they've started playing a song on the radio that's apparently from the soundtrack: A Thousand Years by Christina Perri. I don't even like her other song, Jar of Hearts. But for some reason, I love A Thousand Years. I bought the song on iTunes (which is when I noticed that it's from the Breaking Dawn soundtrack).

Innocently, I thought, "Well, maybe this is a romance that I'll like. Maybe I should watch the movies." Whaaat? The movies won't be as good as the books (if any good at all), so I'll read the books. I mean, read the first book.

So my friends recommend some awesome-sounding books, and I immediately get on Amazon and buy four books - 3 of which my friends recommended, and Twilight. No turning back now.

I got home from work/dinner with friends late last night, and the books had arrived. I pull them out of the box - how is Twilight such a long book? Oh, I see - both the print and the margins are HUGE, that's why. So I mindlessly started the book, just to test the waters. I go to bed, reading a little while longer, and fall asleep.

I wake up to find that I had read just under 70 pages last night. And then I mindlessly started reading again... and here I am, telling you that I'm finished. In a single day, 498 pages. I've heard of plenty of other people reading books that quickly, but I've never been one of them.

It was a perfect day for reading, though. A Saturday after a ridiculously long week, and it was rainy and cold outside. And Jesse really wanted to play a video game all day.

Twilight, though. Really? Huh.

3 comments:

markz said...

I am judging you from all the way across the Atlantic Ocean. ;b

Swizzle Stick said...

I feel for you, I really do. I wrote a blog about my experience a while ago. I won't lie. I loved the series.

The same lady at work who convinced me to read them also made me recently promise I'll read the Hunger Games series. I promised. But it won't be for a while.

If you want some suggestions for some good reads, let me know. There are quite a few great ones that I've read. Just let me know when you're ready.

rooni said...

Phew! Just finished the series last night, so it took me 10 days, all told. I've got a couple of other books in queue, but I'll probably need some recommendations soon. =) I'm not sure about Hunger Games, yet.. let me know if you start them and like them.