Thursday, October 9

People know that voting is free, right?


A work friend of mine has recently begun displaying at his desk a blue paper cup emblazoned with the name "Obama." I took a closer look at it today, and I saw that it also had a sticker on it that said, "I voted in the 7-election!"

As it turns out, 7-Eleven is holding a coffee drink-off to stir up voters, Capitalist Style. They call it the 7-election, and they're publishing the "results" (read: sales figures) weekly in USA Today.

I know that election turn-out has been pretty sickly for the past few presidential elections (and worse for the smaller 'tween elections), and maybe that has contributed to the belief that you actually have to buy something in order to cast a vote. I just want to remind folks (and I know only about 5 people read this blog, but please tell your friends) that voting is indeed free of charge the United States, and you don't even need to drink coffee to participate.

On the flip side, the nice thing about this promotion is that it demonstrates the excitement surrounding this election. Pop culture is really embracing the Obama-v-McCain election. Case in point: this is apparently the third election that 7-Eleven has promoted in this way, and yet this is the first I've heard of it.

For those of you who are interested, 7-Eleven does have a color-coded map on their website that illustrates the latest results. Currently, 7-Eleven's coffee drinkers prefer Obama, with 59.13% of sales (McCain = 40.87%).

2 comments:

Bug said...

If I drank coffee, I'd probably participate.

And that results map on their site is interesting. I think it's the only political map I'll ever see with a blue Texas.

EmoRiot said...

I stopped drinking coffee months ago in an attempt to avoid caffeine but I'm tempted to "vote."