I searched online to find creative ways to use leftover mashed potatoes. I made way too much for a dinner over the weekend (no shock there -- I always make a bunch of leftover mashed potatoes). The thing is, I grew up in a house where these potato leftovers never went to waste, because they were always a favorite. Now, I struggle with leftovers in a house with only two people, especially two people who aren't home much, and who like a little variety. And I can only eat so many mashed potatoes for lunches at work.
Long story short, I went searching and found potato pancake recipes, shepherd's pie recipes, etc. My favorite recipe of the lot was one with only three ingredients (ding ding ding, we have a winner folks!): mashed potatoes, flour, egg. Who knew gnocchi could be so simple? I've never considered making gnocchi in my life. I'm not the biggest fan, actually. I don't hate them, but I tend not to order them in restaurants, because they're usually in thick cream sauces, and are boring after like 5 bites.
But at home, gnocchi were so much fun!! I pulled out all of the ingredients, and I was eating gnocchi ten minutes later. (Sharlene, are you reading this? I know I just emailed you this story, but I was so excited, that I thought I'd blog about it, too!!). I was home alone tonight, so I cooked up a serving, and flash froze the rest, then put 'em all in one bag. I think Jesse will be thrilled, because gnocchi are high on his list of things to order at Italian restaurants (probably topped only by chicken parmesan).
So I served my homemade gnocchi with a little butter, fresh pepper, and parmesan cheese. I will make this recipe again in a heartbeat! It's so easy. And SO cheap. I don't think I'd ever buy gnocchi in the store now... I'll just wait until I inevitably make an excessive amount of mashed potatoes again.
5 comments:
Yummers! I always thought Gnocchi was hard. You make it sound so easy. I actually think it tastes wonderful but can never order it due to the cream in the sauces. Maybe I'll make some soon =D
I think you should! I don't know how you make your mashed potatoes, but with the ones I make, you probably still couldn't eat the gnocchi. =( The mashed potatoes are full of milk and butter. But I'm sure you're a pro at substituting those ingredients in your cooking. =)
On a side note, I should've mentioned that these homemade gnocchi aren't pretty like the store-bought textured ones. Oh well! The fact that they're handmade makes up for it. =)
Yes, I'm reading this and I'm sooo excited that you gave me some entertainment at work today :)
I can't wait to not be working so that we can actually eat dinner together again. : (
COOL!!!! I didn't know you had a blog! this is awesome. i never had homemade gnocchi before--just the trader joe's frozen kind.
Post a Comment