The saving grace of my early Fall is that prime time TV is back. Here's what I watch:
Medium: Awesome. Such a good show. Great acting, great script, variety in storyline, topic matter. So good. It's hard to figure out what will happen next.
Amazing Race: doh. I'm currently boycotting this show. As one of its main proponents in the early years (read: every year 'til now), I'm really angry that they messed with a good thing. I needed my Tuesday night strategic, backstabbing race-around-the-world. Instead, it's now a family show and they have yet to leave the United States. Boring.
The Apprentice/Martha Stewart: So good! This re-vamped version of Trump's original is so much better. The candidates are annoying, but the tasks are interesting, and they've made some great improvements over The Donald's show: (1) no immunity for PMs, (2) Martha doesn't say "you're fired" at all, which makes sense, since no one has been hired yet, (3) she writes a very well-balanced and insightful letter to the eliminated candidate each week, explaining why they won't be continuing, and (4) there's no Donald Trump! No more comments about how the female candidates are beautiful, no more flirting from the candidate side of the table... it is more professional. Only downside: Guy to Martha's left, lose the cigar!
Joey: Same show, different season. It's funny, the acting and writing are good - it's entertaining and watchable. I don't cry if I miss an episode, though.
Survivor: Same show, different rules (as always!). They keep this show fresh by realizing that the strategy is the only thing the show has going for it (well, that, and all the boob and butt shots the cameramen and editors like). The rules change, the challenges seem to be genuinely challenging, and the teams are shuffled around at various times to keep the players awake and their strategies exciting.
The Apprentice/Donald Trump: I was a fan of The Apprentice the first season, but it has gone downhill since then -- the Donald is too over-the-top, the editing is bad (you never like anyone all season, then you're supposed to support one of the final two? no way!), and lots of bad, impulsive decisions seem to be made in "the boardroom." The only upside: The candidates are making better decisions about who to bring into the boardroom this season (probably because they're aware of how bad the decisions can be)!
ER: I didn't start watching this show until two seasons ago, and I'm a huge fan. The writing is consistently excellent, and the acting is always great.. the characters shift job roles and hierarchy so subtly that it always seems real .. almost like real time. Few shows can do that, probably because they can't guarantee the show will still be on the air long enough to complete a storyline. ER doesn't have that problem. Awesome. I would cry if I missed an episode of this show. ;)
1 comment:
ER keeps getting better. That show's so freakin' good.
Did you see the episode where Dr. Kovach was in the Congo or somewhere and Dr. Carter went to go rescue him?
That might have been one of the most powerful single hours of TV I think I've ever seen.
Post a Comment