This week, I spontaneously asked Jesse if he wanted to go to Hawaii with me in May. He dutifully asked his management if he could take the time. Once he said he could, I asked my management, and they were equally accommodating. Thus began my very excited excitement and subsequent obsessive obsession with our impending Hawaiian vacation.
Initially, the plan was to vacation for a week in Waikiki. Jesse's response was, "Hey, maybe we should take that interisland ferry to another island while we're there." Well, you can't just go to another island for a day (IMHO), and we were stuck with a 7-day period in Waikiki (timeshare), so I suggested that we stay for another week and do a second island. He was in, so I looked into the interisland ferry. From Oahu, the ferry only goes to Maui once a day. Done. Maui it is.
So I proceeded to talk to people about Maui, read up on Maui online, look into hotels, dream about it (ahem, this was all in one short afternoon)...and then I bought a guidebook on the way home.
Now, we've been to Hawaii (Oahu, Big Island) before, and we heard many a whispering about the inter-island ferry that was going to begin service any month (then), which would provide a convenient and economical way to get between islands. So when I looked into it, I found it very curious that there was only one ferry operating per day to and from Oahu-Maui. That hardly seemed to fill the transportation needs of island locals. I decided to read more about it, and it turns out that there are some very vocal environmental activists who are concerned that the ferry system is going to hurt ocean flora and fauna, so the company who operates it occasionally has to stop operations and wait for court proceedings, etc. On top of that, the ferry can't operate in bad weather (and these are tropical islands, so you never know when weather will get bad)... so we agreed to fly to Maui instead. It's more practical anyway, because you can't pick up a rental car at the ferry berth. What we've lost with the $10x2 more expensive flight, we'll gain in flexibility and taxi fee avoidance. And even though we're not taking the Ferry, we're still going to Maui, since we've never been and we hear good things.
So, as of today, we've booked flights and hotels, and we're ready to go. I'm SUPER excited. We'll be swimming with honus, riding horseback, hiking to waterfalls, eating macadamia nut pancakes and kalua pig, lounging around on gorgeous Maui beaches and checking out the Lost beach on Oahu in no time.
Has anyone else been to Maui? We would appreciate your advice. Truthfully, though, there's no guarantee we'll do anything more than the drive to Hana and beach walks. We really do want to rest and relax more than anything else. (eeeee I'M SO EXCITED!)
3 comments:
I desperately want to be in the same frame of mind as you. I can't wait to be in a place where I can't wait to go to Hawaii. Right now, I'm too focused on some impending deadlines at work. : P
I don't think it's even sunken in yet that we're going back to Hawaii. So, for me, I just can't wait for that to sink in ... then I'll be all happy-jumpy about it. :)
Oh, I'm pushing everything else to the back of my mind. Anything to procrastinate on the things I should actually be doing, namely:
1. manager feedback
2. annual work performance check
3. create huge slide deck for 3 hour preso later this week
4. anything else work-related
I can't help it. Maui and Oahu are just way more fun than work. More fun than my work, at least. =)
you're so excited, and I'm so jealous! You're going to Hawaii in May, and my parents are going to China. Where will I be? I'll be going to WORK. Blah. hehe. I'm happy for you though. Take lots of pictures :)
Post a Comment